Sunday, October 21, 2012

Sweet Wine


My old friend Will McFarlane told me this one recently…

When I was on staff at a large church in North Carolina a few years back, the hyper-fundamentalist streak ran deep with some of the parishioners.  On a Sunday after our quarterly communion service, one particularly staunch and highly opinionated little ol’ “church lady” was complaining to me about the flavor of the grape juice being a bit too sweet.

As she continued her intense assessment about how this was hardly acceptable, and a real affront to a God-honoring worship service, with a chuckle I interjected something to lighten the mood. “You know, ma’am, Christ himself conducted the very first Eucharist using and drinking wine as the holy substitute.”

“Yes, I know,” she lamented.  “And I think less of Him for it!”

No comments:

Post a Comment